The HCSP can be used to reimburse eligible medical expenses incurred by your spouse. Please notify MSRS of your marital status and spouse's name so we can update our records.

If marriage results in a name change for you, please see Change Name.

When you marry, your spouse will supersede any previously designated HCSP beneficiaries. You should not designate your spouse as your beneficiary because Minnesota law specifies that they are automatically entitled to any remaining HCSP account balance upon your death.


During a marriage dissolution proceeding, the court may determine that the assets accrued in the MSRS pension plan, Unclassified Retirement Plan, Minnesota Deferred Compensation Plan (MNDCP), or the Health Care Savings Plan (HCSP) must be divided between the two parties of the divorce.

A certified copy of the court order must be submitted to MSRS.

For more information on how divorce may affect your pension, MNDCP, or HCSP, please contact MSRS. Forms and additional information is available at Forms & Documents - Divorce.